Thursday, November 15, 2012

Back at last

After almost two years of not being able to set a foot in my vegetable garden, I am happy to report that, at long last, I have been given the OK by my consultant at the local hospital and have once again started a little gentle gardening.

Last week I started by cutting back all the paths in the veg garden.  The garden is laid out with beds of about 7.5 metres (25 ft) by 1.2 metres (4ft) .  In between each bed is a footpath of about 600mm (2ft) width.  There are 3 beds across the garden in a row and at the moment about 6 rows.  The garden will eventually accommodate 8 rows.    Around the edges there are also some corner beds where I grow the flowers and shrubs etc  that drag in the birds and the bees and those kind of things.

Not having been worked for two years it was in a pretty sad state.

I started by cutting back the paths.  They are all grass pathways so it wasn’t too big a job to run my mower over them and I soon had them looking neat, it not perfect.

I have started with one bed!!!  I cleared it and put a mulch on it and then sowed broad beans.

I was quite pleased with my progress after such a long time.

The next day I was out all day doing other domestic things that have been neglected.

Imagine my horror when I went out to the garden the following day and discovered that the local mice had been having a great party, fuelled mainly, from what I could see, by my broad bean seeds.

Yes, I know you are supposed to protect against mice but after being away so long I simply forgot!

As they say in this part of the world  “C’est la vie”

No comments: