Wednesday, May 13, 2009

A Week of Firsts

1st broad beansI found a lamb joint buried deep in the recesses of my freezer the other day and decided to make a roast lamb dinner for Sunday Lunch.  I had a look around for things to accompany my meal and found quite a nice selection.  Then I took a look in my garden and decided that I could pick enough broad beans to accompany the lamb.... My first broad beans of the year.....

Actually, this is not strictly true as I have been picking young broad beans for a while now and slicing them into my salads...but these were the first broad beans I intended to shell and cook....and they were delicious...

The following day a friend dropped in just to see how I was getting on with the new garden and as we walked around I showed him some young new rhubarb plants.   These plants had been given to me by a friend in Wales back in October of last year and she had grown them from seed.  I had never come across rhubarb grown from seed before so I took them with interest.  I'm hoping to get a little rhubarb this year but probably won't really get a harvest until next 1st strawberries spring.  All the talk of rhubarb led me to take him round to where my established rhubarb crown has been flourishing for a few years and is coming up to time to divide...  I found several stalks were ready to be collected so I cut them, removing the leaves for the compost, before sending him on his way with my first rhubarb of 2009.

And then today, Wednesday, the first strawberries were ready to pick...So I was able to enjoy strawberries and cream with my afternoon tea.   When I started the garden last year, strawberries were one of the first plants I bought.   I bought 12 each of 2 varieties and carefully alternated them as I planted....Now I do not have a clue which plant is which...but both are delicious

Suddenly the garden is flourishing and I'm really enjoying all this fresh produce, knowing that just over a year ago I made my first tentative steps into the world of vegetable gardening....  Is rhubarb a vegetable??

A big thank you goes out to everyone out there who has helped me along the way.

2 comments:

Kate said...

Hey Ian, I didn't know about the strawberries; how wonderfully delicious they look.

Fancy Pants Elitist said...

I think rhubarb IS a vegetable. At least the part you eat, because it's not the fruit of the plant, it's the stalk.