Sunday, March 29, 2009

Fish in a Creamy Sauce

The other day I did a bit of shopping at my local supermarket...   Here in France it is called a "Hypermarché" so I guess maybe it's a Hypermarket these days.

As I paid the checkout girl she handed me a booklet reviewing many of the wines they had on offer.  I threw it into one of the bags and didn't pay it much attention.

The following day I was tidying up and glanced through and discovered that as well as reviews of the various wines there were several interesting recipes.  This recipe caught my eye and I made it on Friday.  It was delicious, and extremely simple.

The very delicate sauce goes amazingly well with the white fish and calls for a vegetable that isn't too strong....  I used Haricot Vert but think, now, I would have preferred broccoli or haricot beurré

Sadly, it was only after I had eaten it, and discovered how good it was, that I thought about sharing it here. so I'm afraid there are no photos but I'm sure you can imagine a bit of fish in a white creamy sauce.

 

White Fish in a Creamy Sauce 
(Cabillaud sauce crémeuse au Vin Rosé)

This is a delicious sauce to use with any white fish or maybe even gammon using 1/3 bottle of Rosé wine.   Great with a vegetable such as haricot vert or haricot beurré
The original French recipe, as the name implies, calls for cod…. But any white fish would be excellent.

Serves 4

INGREDIENTS

4 good sized pieces of white fish
2 Onions
3 garlic cloves
250ml Vin Rosé
250ml single cream
Butter
Salt and pepper
Salt and ground black pepper to taste

METHOD

Cut the fish into large pieces (2”)
Coarsely chop the onions and thinly slice the garlic and then fry in a large frying pan with a knob of butter until the onion is translucent
Lay the fish (upside down) in the frying pan( in amongst the onion and garlic) and cook for a minute or two on a low heat.
Carefully turn the fish over and add the wine.
Reduce the mixture.
Add the cream salt and pepper and mix gently.
Thicken over a low heat (takes about 4 - 5 minutes)

Serve with broccoli, haricot vert or haricot beurre
.
Enjoy

No comments: